In November 2013, the EU-funded project for conservation and revitalisation of the cultural – tourist site Sv. Gjorgji in Staro Nagorichane started, funded with 1.42 million EUR under the European Union’s Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance. The conservation and revitalization of this magnificent cultural heritage, the original Church was built by the Byzantine Emperor Roman IV Diogenes in 1071, is an important element for promotion of tourism and economic regeneration in the region.
The project activities were divided in two components: 1) award of grant to the National Conservation Centre for the conservation of the church Sv. Gjorgji and 2) works for interventions in the immediate surrounding area of the monument: bell tower, surrounding walls of the church, tombstones in the churches’ yard, anchoret of St. Prochorus of Pchinja, the old school that will be transformed into ethno-museum, the square of the village and the fountain.
The support to cultural – tourist site Staro Nagorichane is being extended in the framework of the Ljubljana Process which is regional initiative on cultural heritage with focus on Southeast Europe under joint management of the Council of Europe and the European Commission.
Unfortunately the conservation the church “Sv. Gjorgji” was not completed within project’s duration.